To contribute, please see the contribution page.
This wiki includes:
- [x] Markdown parsing handler
- [x] Raw file handler
- [x] Code Block Syntax highlighting
- [x] Topic tags
- [x] Indexer for pages
- [x] Simple Search handler
- [x] Alert Boxes
- [x] Topic Listing Handler
- [x] Advanced Search Handler
Currently Planned Categories
- Man Pages
To see actual categories, please visit the topic section.
The server powering this wiki gnosis, the articles written for this wiki, and the git repository used to hold those articles were created with reason. There were things lacking/issues with the old wiki - this system sets out to fix each issue.
- Wiki editing was mostly open before, it is now restricted.
- Having an open wiki allowed less knowledgable edits, which in turn led to a lower quality wiki.
git, we can restrict the master branch of the wiki to a group of known experienced admins and editors.
git, we can create branches (as many as are needed) and allow people to edit pages there, andn submit pull requests.
- Change blame (good or bad) was difficult before, it now becomes
- Using the tools within
git, we can easily determine the origin of a specific edit.
- We can look at a specific itme in the wiki, determine who added it, and then ask them why they added it.
- Searching in mediawiki is difficult and weird.
- A new searching system - closely tied to the categories - will be built into this wiki.
- Viewing related topics was almost secondary to the old wiki.
- Pages are marked with topics and topic listing pages will be present.
- Mediawiki is an awkard language to write, markdown is more fluid.
- Mediawiki also happens to encourage writing longer documents. Markdown encourages brevity.
- Since this is an alternate format, we will have to rewrite everything
- Every page on our wiki needs a rewrite anyway
- The mediawiki editor is browser based and constraining - you can pick your editor with this. Suggestions:
- All page rendering is done server side.
- This allows indexing by search engines.
- This also makes for a faster experience.
- Topics can be restricted within a handler.
- Pages with a specific topic on them will not be displayed.
- This allows for a public and private wiki from the same pages.
- We need the resources to help our customers, and we’re not allowed to use resources from other companies.